Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Frog Pond

Yesterday I went back to the little pond, and tried to find a "correct" composition. The trees are still bare, and the day was so hot and very windy. Now the buds will all pop. My Mom came with me and sketched. We enjoyed the afternoon so much, that we decided to come back in the evening when the shadows are long.

The evening light came in softly, the wind had stopped, and I sat at the north end of the pond. I had missed the long shadow time, and some clouds diffused the light. A few frogs started their song.
I look at my paintings from the viewpoint of composition, design, value, etc learned at the workshop and see that there is lots of room for improvement, but the memory of that magical spring day has been captured.
Next time I want to paint the whole pond.

No comments: